Monday, August 20, 2012

It's Bloomin' Tuesday!

 Welcome!
We are having perfect summer days as far as I'm concerned. Sunny and 70's!  I lost my curly willow tree that I started from a branch, this summer. I did love that tree but willows have soft wood and it got a disease.  Within 2 weeks of noticing that the ends of the branches were brown, the whole tree was brown.
 I decided to replace it with a Proven Winner, Fine Line, Buckthorn, Rhamnus frangula.  This 'shrub' almost looks like a grass.  It likes full sun, grows to 60 to 84 inches and 36 inches across and is deer resistant. (I don't have that problem here but I know some of you do!)
 I like the upward growth and the speckled bark. (Click to enlarge pic.)
 My absolute favorite late summer or fall plant Japanese Anemone, is beginning to bloom. This one is in front of the wild garden.  I love everything about this plant!  It is really several small plants but they are pretty mounding plants with nice leaves all summer.
 The graceful blooms grow above the leaves and are also called wind flowers.  This one is my favorite bloom. I love the color that is slightly darker on the back, the simple 4 petal bloom and the round plump buds.
 This one is in the middle garden.  These plants will grow in full sun to mostly shade.  I have some in my shade garden, too.
This one is a darker pink, double flower. I have more that will probably be open next week so I will show them then and look up the name for each. The only down side is, they can take over.  I don't mind because people are always asking for some for their garden.
Add your name and permalink to Mr Linky to join the tour.  Please, remember to add a link to this post on your post.

9 comments:

Gabby said...

I love your anemones. They look so healthy.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers said...

I love your buckthorn. An interesting plant. My Japanese anemone have been blooming for awhile. The one near my deck is blooming very small this year, while the one in front is a giant, almost up to the bottom limbs of my dogwood. I do so love these.

Yael from Home Garden Diggers

daisy g said...

Love the shot of the anemone with the rudbekia(?) in the background.

Congrats on your replacement shrub. May it have a long life with you.

Unknown said...

I love anemones! Glad I can finally participate...

Suzanne said...

Just beautiful! I love the shots of the anemones that you chose -- so pretty!

Rosanne said...

That anemone is gorgeous!

~~Rhonda said...

Jean, I have not grown anemone, but love yours. I need to put that on my list of "must haves." Our garden has suffered quite a bit this summer. I am hoping we haven't lost a lot of our hostas. Some are either dead or dormant. Will have to wait to find out which! Isn't that the way of a garden? You can't prepare for some of the events that impact it. Just have to roll with the punches and make the best of it! ~~Rhonda

floraseasons (Melissa) said...

Love your Bloomin' Tuesday posts! Once I get my pics uploaded I will be contributing to these Tuesday posts. Thanks for creating a community space to share our beautiful gardens. By the way, I’ve nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blog Award. Check out my post at www.floraseasons.com.

Carol said...

Everything looking good at your place. Wish we had some of that fall like weather down here! Have a great day, Carol