Sunday, March 21, 2010

New Favorite

I haven't been able to get out in our beautiful sunny weather because of my eye infection. Today it is a little cloudy so I went out early wearing sun glasses and a ball cap. It felt so good to dig in the dirt again! I wish I could spend the whole day in the gardens but I have to work later. While working today I got to use a new, old shovel I bought at a sale. It has a nice long handle but the shovel is much smaller than a regular one. I'm sure I only paid a couple dollars for it but to me it's worth much more. It's perfect for digging out small plants or large weeds. I usually use my hand spade for those jobs but sometimes it's rough on the wrist.
You can see here it's about the size of a childs shovel. I don't know if they are making anything like it now or not but if you see one at a sale, grab it! I'm sure you'll love it like I do!

3 comments:

vintage girl at heart said...

Your little shovel is darling... I just love to find these at yard and estate sales they are so much sturdier than what is sold new today and cheaper too!!! Plus there is just something about their smooth worn handles and the history they have..I always wonder who used them and what they planted..tilled or harvested with them!
Glad you are feeling better and that you were able to get out and work in your yard a bit.
Blessings~
Your grandbabies are growing so fast and they are so sweet!!

Darla said...

I do hope your eye clears up soon. One of the girls broke my little big shovel last year...now I have a medium one..it's just not the same!

~~Rhonda said...

Jean, DH has a similar shovel, though it has a short handle. He loves it for working while kneeling in the garden. He uses it to dig out tree sprouts, dig and divide perennials, all sorts of jobs. When he broke the old one, he went right out and got a new one. He wouldn't want to be without it. ~~Rhonda