Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Toffee

I got my Tassies (pecan tarts) done yesterday. All my baking is done! I took my last run to Walmart today. Now all I have to do is finish wrapping and make some snack food like Chex mix and white trash. Pea asked for my Toffee recipe from yesterday so I'm giving it today. It is easy to make and very good. Almost like a Heath Bar.
This is what it looks like after it is broken up.
Toffee
Base: 2 cups crushed Vanilla Wafers (we use the blender)
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
Mix and press into 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 8 min.
Toffee layer: 1/2 c. butter
1/2 c. brown sugar
Combine in saucepan. Cook over med. heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Boil for 1 min. Immediately pour over baked base. Bake for 10 min.
Let stand 2 min.
Sprinkle 6 oz. chocolate chips over top. Let stand 2-3 min. until morsels are shiny and soft. Spread evenly and sprinkle with 1/2 c. chopped nuts.
Break into pieces after it is completely cooled.
I don't know why we only make these at Christmas but it's probably a good thing!

5 comments:

Susie said...

Thanks for the toffee recipe. It looks yummy. I may try this one later in the week. Does it freeze well?
xo

Farmgirl Cyn said...

Your whole blog looks so cheery and Christmasy! The spritz are one of my favorite cookies, but it has been a long time since I have made them. So buttery and yummy...they melt in my mouth. Looks like everyone had a good time with the baking.
A most blessed Christmas to you and yours!

Naturegirl said...

YUMMO ....thank you I am going to get the family to make these for me!!!
I laughed when I read about Granny falling into tub and then deciding she'll stay for a bath!! LOL
I have looked at my inviting tub but it's TOO DEEP..don't know how I could up!!
You'll see a lot of me as I have much TIME on my hands now!!
hugs hop a long NG

Jean said...

I have never tried to freeze them. I usually make my cookies no more than 2 weeks before Christmas and just wrap them well and put them in the cool basement.

Muum said...

these look great and easy! thanks for sharing the recipe, I think I may try them.