Sunday, July 29, 2007

Green Thumb Sunday

We've had some much needed rain the last couple weeks. After the rain comes...

the rain lilies!
I love these. I have no idea their real name. I dug these up probably 20 years ago in my Grandmother's yard in Florida. They are bulbs and I tried every way to keep them alive. I finally put them in this wash tub (Well not this actual tub, I've been through a few in 20 years!). I put them, tub and all, in the basement in the winter and only water them a couple times.
I have separated them several times but they just keep multiplying.
They are gone now and when I deadheaded I counted over 40 blooms. When the conditions are right, they will bloom again, but it must rain. I can water all I want and maybe one bloom will appear. Get a good soaking rain and some hot weather and this is what you get. The blooms only last a couple days. I love the color and the simplicity of the flowers. I don't understand it, but I love it.

Do you have any rain lilies or know the real name for these?

I'm giving foxglove seeds to anyone who wants them. Click here for more information.

15 comments:

Carol Michel said...

I have rain lilies, which I also call fairy lilies. The botanical name is Zephryanthes grandiflora.
I love them, they are such sweet flowers!

Anonymous said...

What delightful flowers. They are so pretty and what a lovely way to remember your Grandmother.
Sara from farmingfriends

JunieRose2005 said...

I have some of those 'Rain Lilies' that come up after a good rain here in Ocala, Florida. I love them !

Have never tried to pot them- just let them pop up where ever...


Junie

RUTH said...

How fascinating. The only thing that regularly pops up after rain in my garden are slugs and snails!

Aiyana said...

I have several stands of Rain Lillies, and in the past week we've had some rain after several months. The lillies immediately started greening up, and in a couple of days, I'll have bunches myself. Mine are peach and white. I love them.
BTW--Zephryanthes means "Flower of the south wind".
Aiyana

Susie said...

Never heard of these, but what a precious remembrance of your Grandma!
The pink color is lovely :)

Whyite said...

Well they are beautiful no matter what they are called. And a wonderful way to remember you grandmother and her garden.

Carole Burant said...

I'd never heard of these but how fascinating that they only come up if it's rained! They certainly are very pretty and I so love their pink colour!! xox

Jean Campbell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jean Campbell said...

Oops, typo!
There are two kinds of rain lilies, Zephyranthes and Habranthus. All are lovely.

Naturegirl said...

Love these lilies planted in the tub!! I just love it!!
I REALLY love them now that Carol tells us they are called ~fairy lilies~! hugs NG

Tammy said...

They are very pretty...all of my flowers are doing better after a couple days of rain!
:)

Ladynred said...

They are beautiful flowers!

Muum said...

thanks for sharing these, they are wonderful. have never heard of them before

Lallee said...

Those are so pretty. I'm glad you found a way to keep them in your climate. Where in Florida did your grandmother live?